So, first of all this post is unapologetically self-involved. My friend at The Happy Soul Hub posted a very great read about loving yourself on Valentine’s Day, here, which I think everyone should give a good read. As this household vehemently boycotts all things Valentine’s Day, I thought the exercise listed offered a fresh perspective on what this day – and dare I say every day – should be about. I even forwarded the link to my oldest daughter, as she is a teen and overly concerned that she doesn’t have a boyfriend to celebrate this commercialized day with. As a mother, I secretly said a prayer of thanks for that very fact, but I digress…
I decided to openly publish my list through this forum, for one to better acquaint myself with my readers, but also to show that the act of self-love in action can be hard to articulate when faced with writing it down on paper. So here it goes:
5 Accomplishments (this one was very hard for me after finding 3)
- Graduating with by BA & MA while simultaneously working full-time and raising a family, and basically doing life.
- Survived a serious game-changer in my marriage and conquering a better than ever intimacy than we’ve ever experienced in the 15 years we’ve been married.
- Landing my dream job and I happen to be kicking ass and taking names so far.
- So far I’ve managed to raise some pretty incredible, healthy and well-adjusted little people. We’re open, honest, emotionally and physically loving and, from their own mouths, don’t see any apparent need for therapy in their future regarding their home life. Yes, we ask those questions – like I said we’re honest and open – and frank.
- I’ve lost 64 lbs. in the last 5 months. And counting…
5 Things I’ve done for others
- I’ve let numerous others live in my home to help get them back on their feet. Mostly family members and sometimes to my severe stress, but my heart was there to help.
- Nursed my husband back to physical and emotional health after a near-death sickness.
- I’ve helped several people get jobs.
- I’ve provided transportation for others to their jobs. Daily or randomly, both.
- I’ve given many of my things to others specifically because they needed them. Giving to Goodwill and Must Ministries NOT counted.
5 Compliments I would give myself
- You have great hair.
- You are pretty.
- Your ambition and drive are inspiring to others.
- You are a good wife and parent.
- You are stronger than you think.
5 Part of your personality you think are pretty cool
- I can be pretty funny. According to my husband, only when I’m not trying to be.
- I am damn intuitive.
- I am a good listener.
- I am pretty emotionally intelligent.
- I have a servant nature.
5 Things I like about my body
- Did I mention I have great hair?
- I have a nice butt.
- I am well proportioned.
- My skin is nice.
- I have pretty feet.
Again, a very self-involved post, I know. But the point is for you to try this exercise as well. Write it down, really reflect on yourself. It will help you fall in love with yourself a little more. Happy Valentine’s Day to You and remember what The Happy Soul Hub said so well, You are your first love – don’t forget it!
PS- Featured image was painted by yours truly today for my husband for the “boycotted” V-day! 😁